Saturday, June 12, 2010

SO WHY ALASKA?

That's a question I've been asked frequently as I talk with family and friends about our upcoming flying adventure to that great big state up North.

I never really thought much about it other than I've always wanted to go to Alaska. I think it started about the time I first heard the Johnny Horton song "North To Alaska" sometime when I was around nine. Sounded to me like Big Sam (the character in the song) made a good move when he left Seattle and headed north.

On top of that I love to fly. From my first ride in a DC3 when I was eleven years old, to flying gliders in outback Australia, to piloting my own Piper Archer to the Bahamas, renting a Turbo Arrow in Australia and flying around that big continent... I guess flying has been a pretty big part of my life esepecially the last 20 years.

So like many pilots, I had this dream of ONE DAY... flying to Alaska. That one day never came, mostly because I didn't want to do the trip solo and couldn't find anyone interested enough, brave enough, or stupid enough to go with me. Until Cousin Chris came along.

I guess it is good karma in a way because I take credit for introducing Cousin Chris to aviation on one of my visits to Australia in the late nineties. I took him for a flight at the local airport and he was hooked. Since then he's become the owner of a Yak 52, does aerobatics and formation flying, and generally has made aviation as big a part of his life as it is mine.

So when I suggested flying to Alaska, instead of the usual excuses I got from the few others I had asked, I got a great big "Hell yeah! When do we leave?"

So here we are, about to set off on this great flying adventure from Massachusetts to Alaska.

We'll try to post a daily update here and also some pics.

Another question we get is "What are you going to do when you get there?" I guess the process of getting there is so much fun, I haven't given much thought to that. I'd like to catch a big king salmon though and I think Cousin Chris has got a desire to visit Wasilla for some reason.

Anyway, if you'd like to follow along with us, just click on the subscribe button.

We'd love to know who is following us and we'd also like you to share your comments on out posts and pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Reasons for going to Alaska:

    1. It's there
    2. So is Sarah
    3. It takes us across the North American continent and back again and thats a good thing
    4. They got Grizzlys and Samon ... sometimes both in the same place at the same time ... meat and fish!
    5. 40% of the population are pilots so it has to be friendly
    6.It will make it very hard to think about work back home in Australia
    7. Snow is good right?
    8. They have dogs that pull sleds
    9. It's on Mick's bucket list
    10. ... and because you are dead a long long long time ...

    ReplyDelete