Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Being Zen

When I reflect on our trip now that it is over, and when I ask myself what I learned from it, one of the things that stands out is the idea of "being zen". My cousin Chris used this phrase and it reminded me of my training in zen meditation many years ago.

When confronting the elements as we were (particularly the weather), it really helped. It struck me as strange that having spent a large part of my life involved in yoga and meditation, I needed to be reminded to practice some of the things I had long ago learned. Thankfully, I took the reminder, and from that point on, the trip became more of a moment to moment adventure and much less stressful.

As I reflected on this today, I decided to write a short piece about "being zen" on my Turn-Stress-Into-Bliss professional website. I'm sure it has many applications other than just flying to Alaska. And no, it wasn't just so I could tax deduct the trip, but that would be nice! Thanks Cuz for the reminder. It made a huge difference to the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment